Waikato District Council is governed by a Mayor and 13 Councillors. They are elected every three years to make decisions and represent the needs and interests of their community. Waikato District Council also has five Community Boards where members are elected to look after local interests and to be a link between the community and the Council.
In addition to voting for a Mayor, Councillors and Community Board members, Waikato District electors will also vote for:
- Te Kauwhata Licensing Trust members
- Waikato Regional Council members
- Waikato District Health Board members
- Counties Manukau District Health Board members
Local authority elections take place every three years on the second Saturday in October using the postal voting method. The elections are held under the Local Electoral Act 2001, The Local Electoral Regulations 2001, the Local Government Act 2002 and the Local Government Act 2010.
To ensure that you are eligible to vote in the next election:
- Please visit Elections or
- Free-text your name and address to 3676 or
- Call 0800 36 76 56 or
- Visit any PostShop for an enrolment form.
A by-election was held on 17 February to appoint a new member to the Onewhero-Tuakau Community Board.
Raglan Community Board by-election
A by-election will be held on Friday 5 June 2015 for two members of the Raglan Community Board.