Fees and charges

Fees and charges are used to assist the operation and maintenance of a variety of services provided to the community.

We set fees and charges on a user-pays basis to ensure that rate increases are kept to a minimum where possible. 

Fees and charges are reviewed on an ongoing basis. All fees are GST inclusive unless otherwise stated.


Current fees and charges

Development Contributions

Developers are required to pay a development contribution to the council when developing or requiring new services for a property. The Waikato district is experiencing rapid growth in some areas and this growth can only be sustained if developers contribute to the cost of new or expanded infrastructure that supports that growth.


What are development contributions?

The purpose of development contributions is to recover the costs of growth- related capital expenditures from participants in the property development process, rather than from general rates or any other indirect funding source.

Development contributions are set through the prescribed Local Government Act 2002 process, for developments for the provision of new or expanded council services.


How are they calculated?

The contributions are calculated on the anticipated demand that the development will impose on infrastructure, and the costs of providing that infrastructure. The amounts will vary from place to place as it depends on the catchment and the level of growth and infrastructure that is required to accommodate the development.

The Waikato district has been divided into a number of catchment areas. Each catchment area has a different range of projects which will require a development contribution to be paid and different rates are applied. For example a one lot subdivision in the Tamahere area will attract, among other contributions, a specific water contribution, while in Pokeno the infrastructure requirements and therefore the contribution, will be different.

Development contributions can also be charged for roads and transport, stormwater, wastewater and water, depending on the catchment area.

A calculation for extra water supply, wastewater, stormwater reticulation, parks, community facilities, and transportation is applied to each new lot and development. The total payable varies and is dependent upon location.


When do I pay?

Applications for resource consent, building consent or service connection trigger the requirement to pay development contributions. The due date for payment will be:

  • For subdivision resource consents: prior to issue of the section 224c certificate.
  • For other resource consents: 180 days from granting or prior to the commencement of consent.
  • For building consents: prior to Code of Compliance Certificate.
  • For service connections: prior to connection.
  • For certificates of acceptance:  prior to issue.    

If you want to avoid annual increases, you can always make payment earlier than the due date.


What does council do with the contributions?

Contributions are used for providing new or expanded infrastructure. The contributions are not used for maintenance and are only used for the purpose for which they were taken. For example, a roading contribution will only be used for constructing new roads and intersection improvements.

Confused about development contributions? Our FAQ page may answer some of your questions.

Appendices effective from 1 November 2015:


Previous Development Contribution Policies and Charges