Wastewater

The Waikato District Council provides eight localised wastewater networks that service areas of the Waikato district in order to ensure wastewater quality meets environmental standards. There are regulations and rules property owners and industries must follow to effectively treat their wastewater.

Key facts about the Waikato District Council’s wastewater reticulation network:

  • The Council maintains 195km of reticulated pipelines
  • 7,400 properties are provided with this reticulated wastewater service
  • The Council operates 74 waste water pumping stations
  • The Council operates nine wastewater treatment plants

Wastewater

Wastewater includes the water you flush down your toilet and the water that drains from your bath, sink, washing machine and other domestic sources. Businesses and industrial activities also produce wastewater.

Wastewater is made up of 99% water and the remaining 1% consists of:

  • Human waste and food scraps
  • Heavy metals – lead, zinc, copper
  • Debris – sand, wood, plastic
  • Oil and grease

The Council provides eight localised wastewater plants that service the various areas of the Waikato district.

The Huntly, Ngaruawahia, Raglan and Te Kauwhata wastewater treatment plants have recently been upgraded. This is to ensure our wastewater quality continues to meet environmental requirements.

The Council’s Maramarua, Matangi and Te Kowhai wastewater treatment plants operate through a recirculating sand filter system.

The Huntly, Meremere, Ngaruawahia, Raglan and Te Kauwhata wastewater treatment plants operate using an oxidation pond system.

More specific information about each plant can be found on the following pages:

 Trade waste

Waikato District Council requires industries and comercial properties that are potentially releasing hazardous substances into the Council wastewater pipe network to apply for a trade waste consent. This consent outlines the treatment processes that must be done to the trade waste material before it is released into the wastewater network.

On July 1 2012, Waikato District Council joined with Waipa District Council and Hamilton City Council to launch shared services for trade waste. A key aim is to deliver integrated, sustainable and well-managed services that also protect and enhance the environment.

As a result of this initiative – which was developed from the wider sub-regional Three Waters strategy – trade waste customers receive a consistent trade waste service across the three council territories. The sharing of staff and resources ensures a streamlined and efficient business model.

For the councils, the benefits include improved compliance and monitoring, and an effective user pays approach to trade waste.

For more information about Trade Waste Shared Services please phone 0800 357 358.

Septic tanks

The owner of a property containing a septic tank waste water disposal system must have their tank pumped out every three years. This waste material is removed by a contractor and disposed of at the wastewater treatment plants at Huntly and Raglan. It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure this is arranged and carried out. This is required to ensure the septic tanks continue to efficiently treat domestic wastewater from these households.

Infiltration

Infiltration occurs when stormwater enters into the Council’s wastewater network. Infiltration can be caused by incorrectly plumbed downpipes, damaged pipe work or overflows into gully traps. These overflows can pose health risks to the public and cause problems at Council pump station sites. Stormwater from homeowner’s property must not enter the Council’s wastewater network. Homeowners are to ensure their gully traps are high enough to prevent surface water flows entering the wastewater system and their roof-down pipes do not lead directly into the wastewater system or their gully trap.

 

   
Raglan Wastewater Treatment Plant – Oxidation Pond Ngaruawahia Wastewater Treatment Plant – Oxidation Pond