A HAIL ('Hazardous Activities and Industries List') report can tell you whether Council records contain any information on existing or potential contamination on a property. A property may be identified as having potential contamination if records indicate that the land has been used for one of the activities on the HAIL list.  

A HAIL report provides information held by Waikato District Council, including those records available to us from Waikato Regional Council. The report reviews information about the land that is held and is accessible by the relevant territorial or unitary authority, for example, property files, resource consents databases, land use registers and dangerous goods files (or EPA). We may also review information available to us from the regional council. This may include an historical aerial photography review.

Find out about costsapply for a HAIL report and find out how to pay below.

When to request a HAIL report

Regulations (NES) under the Resource Management Act 1991 require an assessment of potential contamination on land if you propose carrying out any of the following five activities on the property:

  • Subdivision
  • Change in land use
  • Soil disturbance
  • Removal of any underground fuel storage system
  • Soil sampling.

If any of these activities are proposed, you must determine whether or not a HAIL activity has occurred on the site.

You can do this by requesting a HAIL report through our Council; or you can get a suitably qualified and experienced contaminated land consultant to carry out a Preliminary Site Investigation (PSI) in accordance with Ministry for the Environment (MfE) guidelines

Identified HAIL sites – what next?

If your report confirms that there's been one or more HAIL activities carried out on your property (or that your proposed activity is classified as a HAIL activity), see the NES regulations which clearly set out the next steps to follow.

It's likely that you'll need to get a resource consent and have a site investigation carried out by a suitably qualified and experienced contaminated land consultant. For information on how to choose a contaminated land consultant, please refer to “how to choose a contaminated land consultant “

Note too, that if resource consent is required for any proposed activity, Council may seek further information relating to previous land use. This is because our records may not be complete and we have a 'duty of care' to ensure as far as possible that the land is fit for purpose. 

Apply for a HAIL Report

We aim to provide a HAIL report within 10 working days once a request has been received. 

When applying for a HAIL report you will need to provide:

  • a completed application form
  • the property's street address 
  • legal description e.g. Lot and DPs
  • the name of the property's current owner
  • a completed site history checklist form (optional)

To apply for a HAIL report:

Apply online here


If you have any further queries about applying for a HAIL report, call us on our freephone 0800 492 452 and ask to speak to the Regulatory Administrator.


A HAIL report will cost $130.00. For full details, see our fees and charges schedule.

How to pay

You will need to pay for your HAIL report at the time you apply for it. However, if your request is from an organisation that requires an invoice for payment, an invoice will be issued to you once we receive your application. Your report will then be provided once payment has been received.

The easiest way to pay is online as it allows you to include the correct reference tag with your payment. This will ensure that it is identified and processed accurately and quickly. However, any of the payment methods below are acceptable.

  • Credit card (using our website form).
  • Internet banking. 
  • EFTPOS, cheque or cash at any Waikato District Council Office.
  • Mail (cheque).

For HAIL report requests, please use the following reference tag: HAIL REPORT

See our website for full details on each payment method and how to PAYIT.

Related documents

Related links

Is it online?

See our District Plan and Waikato district ward maps - and use our Maps Online tool - to find out more about property in the Waikato district.

You may also want to find out about our resource consents and building consents processes and how to get other valuable property information and find useful links to other relevant websites.


Find out about other property info requests, certificates and reports and S223 and S224 certificates under the Resource Management Act 1991 in relation to consented subdivisions. Also see resource consents; and building consents, guidance and inspections.

Get more property information from Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) and Maaori Land Online - Maaori land records.

The Open Waikato website has a wealth of background information on the Waikato district, whether you're building or developing here; thinking of moving here; or wanting to know about businesses, industry, current projects and developments, case studies, demographics, land values, migration, population and other future projections for the district or a specific area within it.