Certificates of compliance

Changes to the Resource Management Act came into effect on 18 October 2017. Click here to learn more about these changes.

A Certificate of Compliance is a legal document produced after a full assessment of your proposal has been done against the rules of the District Plan.

A Certificate of Compliance will provide you with official confirmation that an activity you are carrying out is permitted and/or is lawfully operating under the Council’s District Plan, with all permitted parameters being met.

It's not mandatory to have one, but it provides protection against future changes for its five-year term, which can be useful when applying for finance for your development. It is up to you to provide evidence of your proposed activity's compliance with our District Plan (and where relevant, the Waikato Regional Plan).

Other certificates

Note that a Certificate of Compliance should not be confused with a Certificate of Title. A Certificate of Title allows you to check a property for any restrictions or allowances that may supersede the normal zone rules, such as consent notices, covenants, easements or encumbrances. They're often obtained by people wanting to find out more about a property before buying it: and you'll need one if you're applying for a resource consent or for a Land Information Memorandum (LIM) report.

A Certificate of Compliance is also quite separate from a Certificate of Building Compliance (or Code Compliance Certificate - CCC). A CCC is issued in relation to checks made on building work to ensure that what has been done is compliant with the 
Building Act 2004.

There are also S223 and S224 certificates required under the Resource Management Act 1991 in relation to resource consents for subdivisions.


The cost of a Certificate of Compliance is $1,200. For full details, see our fees and charges schedule. 

Apply for a certificate of compliance

You will need to apply to our Planning Department for a Certificate of Compliance. Once we have your application and its accompanying fee, we will be in touch to discuss your application. 

You can either:

If you have any further queries about applying for a Certificate of Compliance, call us on our freephone 0800 492 452 and ask to speak the Duty Planner.

Check out our office locations and our other contact information

How to pay

You'll need to pay for your certificate at the time you apply for it.

The easiest way to pay is online as it allows you to include the correct reference tag with your payment. This will ensure that it is identified and processed accurately and quickly. However, any of the payment methods below are acceptable.

  • Credit card (using our website form).
  • Internet banking. 
  • EFTPOS, cheque or cash at any Waikato District Council Office.
  • Mail (cheque).

Please use the following reference tag: CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE - (property address and/or legal description if you have it).  

See our website for full details on each payment method and how to PAYIT.


Related links