Here's some handy tips to help you recycle the right way:
What can I put in my recycle bin?
- Glass bottles, jars
- Plastic, household containers, types 1, 2, and 5 only, in all areas except Raglan where plastics 1-7 are collected. Please rinse and squash containers
- Aluminium and steel cans, empty aerosol cans.
What can I not put in my recycle bin?
- No loose paper or cardboard
- No supermarket bags, other plastic bags, polystyrene food trays, juice or milk cartons
- No window glass, lightbulbs, broken glass, drinking glasses or ceramic dishes
- No fuel, oil or chemical containers
- No plastic containers larger than 4L.
Can I recycle cardboard?
Yes. Small cardboard or loose paper can be put into a supermarket bag or small cardboard box and placed beside your recycle bin for collection. Larger cardboard needs to be flattened, bound and placed next to your recycle bin. Cardboard can be no larger than 50cm x 50cm x 50cm.
Why do I need to rinse containers?
Rinsing helps recycling by reducing contamination. Food leftovers can attract flies or animals and spread disease. A cold water rinse is usually enough.
Should I squash containers?
Yes please. Flattened cans and plastic bottles are less likely to blow around in the wind and cause litter. Unsquashed items also take up a lot of space in both your bin and the collection truck.
What if my recycling does not get collected?
Non-complying materials will be left in the container with a sticker explaining the reason for non-collection. If you believe that the collection has missed your property please call council on 0800 492 452.
Where else can I take my recycling?
We're helping create places within the community where you can drop off your unwanted items for recycling or reuse.
These centres will be run by local businesses and community enterprises, helping to increase local employment and economic opportunities.
We will update this page as more centres become available. In the meantime, you can drop your recycling off at the following locations:
- Huntly Recycle/Refuse
Station McVie Road
Ph: 07 828 9719
- Te Kauwhata Recycle/Refuse Station
Ph: 07 826 345
- Raglan Xtreme Waste
Te Hutewai Road
Ph: 07 825 6509