Skip to content

Who pays? (rentals)

The property owner is expected to pay the targeted rate, but may pass on water use charges to the tenant (see section 39 of the Residential Tenancies Act 1986). The property owner is liable for rates pursuant to the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002. Any arrangement regarding payment of a water consumption charge is usually included in the Tenancy Agreement between the owner and the tenant. If the tenant does not pay the water charges, this falls on the property owner.

The Council has no involvement in matters relating to the Residential Tenancies Act. For further questions concerning responsibilities under that Act, please contact Tenancy services on 0800 836 262.

Change in rates?

For those in Ngaruawahia, Huntly and Raglan you will notice a reduction in your targeted rate from 1 July, 2017. This is because your targeted rate will only cover network maintenance. The six-monthly water bill you get after 1 July, 2017 will then cover the amount of water you use.

How did we get here?

For a number of years we’ve been rolling out water meters to households across the district. From July 2017, households in Ngaruawahia, Huntly and Raglan will have water meters and will be charged for water. Having a water meter makes charging for water more equitable - you’ll only ever pay for the water you use.

Isn’t water free?

Yes, water is free. It is illegal for Council to profit for water. The cost comes from treating and providing the valuable resource to residents across the entire Waikato district.  

What do I do if I get a high bill?

Check your reading is similar to that on your bill. If it’s similar: check for leaks on your property, look into your usage pattern and visit the Smart Water website for tips on how you can save water. There are also alternative options such as recycling grey water and supplementing garden supply with rain tanks. If it’s different: call Council on 0800 492 452 and ask to speak with someone in the waters team. 

How can I save water?

There are lots of tips and tricks available at If you can save water, your bill will be lower!

How do I read my meter?

Find out how to read your meter here on our website.

What if I have a leak?

If the leak is on your property (after the meter), it is the owner’s responsibility to fix the leak by contacting a plumber. If the leak is before the meter, no need to panic, you won’t be charged for this water as it hasn’t gone through your meter yet. We do ask you to call Council on 0800 492 452 and lodge a request for service to have the leak repaired so we’re not wasting our valuable resource.

What do I do if I’m moving house?

Just like your power, you’ll need to have a final reading. This will be done by Council, all final readings have to be requested in writing to email (reading charges will apply).  

Multiple houses on one connection

Council is currently reviewing properties that have multiple rating units but may only have one connection.  More information will be available once the review has been completed.