The District Plan plays a big part in how the Waikato district develops, addressing such diverse issues as character, amenity, heritage and landscape, open spaces, urban growth, subdivision and coastal management.
You may be interested in big picture aspects of the District Plan or just what you can and can’t do on your property – whether it be subdividing, renovating, building a new garage or deck, or starting a home business.
What issues does the District Plan deal with?
The District Plan says how Council will manage significant resource management issues. This might include:
- Building development and earthworks
- Land use activities such as residential, retail and industrial activities
- Subdivision of land and associated earthworks
- Protecting historic heritage and natural areas
- Managing natural hazards
- Hazardous substances
- Contaminated land
- Noise control
- Activities on the surface of water in rivers and lakes
It also manages more minor matters such as the minimum distance a garage should be located from a property boundary.