Heavy rain and thunderstorms are affecting the Auckland and North Waikato region, from Mercer north. It is expected to continue well into the evening.
Our Tuakau Office and Library are closed for the rest of the day.
Tips to get ready
What to do before heavy rain:
- Have a plan
- Clear debris from gutters and drains
- Bring pets indoors and move farm animals to higher ground
- Check on your neighbours
During heavy rain
- Follow the instructions of emergency services and the local CDEM groups and if you feel unsafe at any time, evacuate to higher ground.
- Stay indoors and avoid driving during heavy downpours
- Surface flooding and slips are possible and driving conditions may be hazardous.
- Stay away from and out of water. Never try to walk, play, swim, canoe or drive in floodwater: even water just 15cm deep can sweep you off your feet, and half a metre of water will carry away most vehicles.
- Your safety and that of others is critical.
After heavy rain
- Stay away from damaged areas. You might hamper rescue and other emergency operations and be at further risk from the residual effects of floods.
- Look before you step. After a flood, the ground and floors may be slippery or covered with debris, including broken bottles and nails.
- Help others if you can, especially people who may need extra help.
Please report any flooding or roading damage by calling 0800 492 452 as soon as you can.