Nominations for the Waikato District Youth Awards 2016 are now open.
This is the first year Waikato District Council has held the awards. The awards are made possible courtesy of funding the Council has received from the Ministry for Youth Development.
“We wanted to recognise and celebrate the young people who are making significant contributions to their community,” says Waikato District Council Youth Engagement Advisor, Shannon Kelly. “It’s a way of showing that we value their efforts, initiative, commitment and hard work.”
Nominations close on Monday 2 May.
The award categories are:
- Sass/Swag: Young people who have made an outstanding contribution to their community in arts, culture, music, dance or performance.
- Like a Boss: Young people who have demonstrated great leadership in projects that have improved their community.
- Helping Hand: Young people who volunteer in order to improve their community.
- Champion of the Earth award (environment, natural, cultural, social, urban): Young people who have contributed to environmental projects in their community to improve protection, restoration, conservation and/or sustainability.
- Kia Kaha: Young people who have contributed in meaningful ways to their community not otherwise recognised in the other categories.
To be eligible, nominees must be aged between 12 and 24 and currently live, or have lived, in the Waikato District, in the past 12 months.
Award criteria and nominations forms are available on our website: waikatodistrict.govt.nz/youthawards. Award recipients will be announced at an event on 27 May.
For more information, contact Shannon Kelly, Youth Engagement Advisor on 0800 492 452 or email email@example.com.