Waikato District Libraries will wipe your overdue fines during its Love your library week in exchange for cans of food.
Love your library week starts on Wednesday 8 February and finishes on Valentine’s Day on Tuesday 14 February and there are a range of free events planned for the public.
“The week is about celebrating our libraries with our local communities, and highlighting the importance of reading and literacy,” says General Manager Customer Support, Sue Duignan.
There are a number of events planned during the week, including book folding sessions where people can learn to make a beautiful work of art by folding book pages, a pyjama party where people can come along and watch a movie in their PJs and an inter-library competition where each library will work together to create an iconic building. There’ll also be spot prizes, giveaways and 2-for-1 sale items.
“As part of the week we are encouraging anyone with unpaid overdue library fines to bring in a can of food and we’ll wipe their library debt. We know that some people have stopped going to our libraries because they have fines for overdue items and we hope by wiping their fines they’ll come back and use the library.”
The food will be donated to local food banks.
Our libraries offer a huge range of print books, study guides, DVDs and talking books, a range of free electronic databases as well as a range of programmes.
Love your library events:
- PJ party: Wear your pjs and watch a movie with us.
- Wednesday 8 February: Raglan Library, Ngaruawahia Library
- Thursday 9 February: Huntly Library, Tuakau Library, Te Kauwhata Library
- Make an iconic building with us on Saturday 11 February: a craft-building competition between the libraries.
- Book folding sessions: Bring along a hard cover book (or buy one from our sales trolley) and learn how to fold the pages to make a beautiful work of art.
For more information about events planned, including session times, please contact your local library. https://www.waikatodistrict.govt.nz/services-facilities/libraries
For more information please contact:
Senior Communications Advisor
Waikato District Council
07 824 8633