Skip to content

If you're on the electoral roll, then you can vote in the upcoming local elections and your voting pack will arrive by post in September 2022. 

Not enrolled? It's not too late but you will need to complete a special vote. 

You can enrol if you’re 18 or older, a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life. 

Enrol or update online

Or call 0800 36 76 56 and ask us to send you an enrolment form. 

If your voting pack does not arrive in the post, call the Electoral Office on 0800 36 76 56 and they will post you out a special voting pack. Unfortunately you can not download voting papers for local elections.

How special votes work

If you turned 18 or moved into the district after 12 August and you want to vote for the local elections 2022, you will need to complete a special vote.

To complete a special vote, you need to both:

  1. Enrol on the Parliamentary electoral roll by 7 October (ideally online at
  2. Request a special vote from Council or Election Services (phone 800 922 822)

Both functions will need to be completed in order for a special vote to be counted.

Your roll choice 

If you’re of Māori descent and enrolling for the first time, you have an important choice to make. You need to decide which electoral roll you want to be on: the general roll or the Māori roll. The roll you choose decides which electorate you vote in.

After you’ve enrolled, you can change rolls during the Māori Electoral Option which takes place every 5 or 6 years after the Census. The next Māori Electoral Option is scheduled for 2024. If you’re already enrolled, you won’t be able to change rolls before the 2022 local elections. 

Find out more about the Māori roll

Do you live in one area and pay rates on a property in another area?

You may like to vote in this election. Voting is a way to have your say on what happens in your local community. This information is designed to help you. It notes who you can contact to enrol, and ways you might quality to vote.

There are two types of electors...

Residential Electors – If you are registered to vote on the electoral roll, you are automatically enrolled to vote in local authority elections. You will receive a voting document so that you can vote by post.

Ratepayer Electors - You may also be eligible to enrol as a non-resident ratepayer elector in a council district if both of these apply:

  • you are on the district valuation roll and pay rates in the council district
  • the address where you are registered as a Parliamentary elector is outside that council district.

Your eligibility to enrol or be nominated as a ratepayer elector may also depend on your individual circumstances as determined by criteria in the Local Electoral Act 2001 and its regulations.

If you believe you meet the criteria to enrol as a ratepayer elector, please read and complete the below form.

Got questions? Check out our FAQs.