COVID-19 UPDATE Waikato District is in "RED". For full info click here.
Skip to content

Our wastewater network

We have the following wastewater schemes servicing the district:

wastewater network

Our wastewater network is comprised of 341 km of pipes, 96 pump stations and 9 treatment plants. It would cost approximately $226 million to replace the wastewater assets.

Wastewater refers to used water that drains from kitchen, laundry, bathroom and other domestic sources. Water makes up 99% of wastewater, the remaining 1% consists of human waste and food scraps, heavy metals (lead, zinc, copper, debris (sand, wood, plastic), oil and grease. Businesses and industrial activities also produce wastewater which passes through the Council wastewater scheme. This will either be classed as domestic waste or trade waste.

Get more information on our Council’s wastewater network and find out about your responsibilities in relation to septic tanks and preventing stormwater from getting into Council wastewater systems.

Wastewater is transported through Council infrastructure to one of the nine Council-operated wastewater treatment plants.

Remember - if you are developing land, building or renovating - you will need to consider your wastewater needs and what consents you may need to obtain to ensure your activities are linked in appropriately with Council infrastructure and services. See land and property for more information and check out our 'connection to wastewater scheme' form below.

Property development and wastewater

If you are developing land, building or renovating, you will need to consider your wastewater needs and any consents you may need to obtain to ensure your activities are linked in appropriately with Council infrastructure and services. See land and property for more information.

Our wastewater schemes

The wastewater schemes are serviced by a variety of systems depending on the scale of the reticulated catchment. The smallest scheme caters for eight households averaging an inflow of about four cubic metres per day, while the largest scheme averages an inflow of about 2,300 cubic metres per day.

The treatment service is provided via pond systems, re-circulating media systems, storage tanks, pump stations and an extensive underground pipe network. Our wastewater treatment system includes:

  • Nine wastewater treatment plants.
  • 78 wastewater pump stations.
  • 292 km of reticulated wastewater pipelines.
  • 16,400 domestic and industrial property connections.

The Ngaruawahia, Huntly, Raglan and Te Kauwhata wastewater treatment plants have recently been upgraded.

Well-designed and implemented upgrades provide greater confidence that the quality of any water discharged continues to improve and meet environmental requirements.

The Maramarua, Matangi, Tauwhare and Te Kowhai wastewater treatment plants operate through a system of septic tanks, followed by a re-circulating media system then final disposal to land via irrigation.

The Huntly, Meremere, Ngaruawahia, Raglan and Te Kauwhata wastewater treatment plants operate using an oxidation pond system with final disposal to receiving waterways.

Huntly, Meremere, Ngaruawahia and Raglan use ultra-violet (UV) light treatment prior to discharging treated water into their receiving waterways.

Septic tanks

If you're the owner of a property containing a septic tank wastewater disposal system, you must have your property's tank pumped out every three years. This is so septic tanks can continue to efficiently treat domestic wastewater from these households.

You need to get this waste material  removed by a contractor who should dispose of it at the nearest facility provided for this kind of waste product. It is your responsibility to ensure this is arranged and carried out appropriately from removal to disposal.

Keeping stormwater out of wastewater systems

When stormwater enters into the Council’s wastewater network, this is called 'infiltration'. Infiltration can be caused by incorrectly-plumbed downpipes, damaged pipe work or overflows into gully traps. These overflows can pose health risks to the public; indirect environmental effects; and problems at Council pump stations.

Stormwater from your property must not enter the Council’s wastewater network. Check your property to ensure that any gully traps are high enough to prevent surface water flows entering the wastewater system. Also ensure that any roof-down pipes do not lead directly into the wastewater system or your gully trap.

Find out more about our stormwater network.

Find out more about how your actions can also impact on water supply. Read about how you can save water with Smart Water, including how much you use your water supply and how you can recycle some of your wastewater for other uses.