COVID-19 UPDATE Waikato District is in "RED". For full info click here.
Skip to content

Our Water Supply Sources

The Waikato River is the main water source and accounts for approximately two thirds of the annual water production for the Waikato district. There are multiple other water sources for our water schemes such as ground water, and some of our schemes are reliant on bulk water supply arrangements from third parties. The source water goes through treatment facilities to ensure compliance with New Zealand drinking water standards. 

Waikato District Council contract services to Watercare Services Limited, who are responsible for collecting, treating and distributing water for use by households, commerce, industry and firefighting. It is also responsible for providing safe and reliable drinking water.