The Rates Rebate Scheme came into effect in 1973 to benefit home owners who have low incomes.
Eligibly and benefits
- The maximum rebate for the 2018/19 rating year is $630.00
- The Gross Income threshold starts at $25,180 (if you earn more than $25,180 a year you could still be eligible)
- The additional income allowance for dependents is $500 per dependent.
How to apply
You can find out if you’re eligible for a rates rebate by using the rates rebates calculator or contacting our Rates team on 0800 492 452.
Please ensure you have the following information before applying for a rates rebate.
- All Gross Income for the tax year 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018 (IR 544) for yourself if you are employed
- All Gross Income for the tax year 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018 (IR 544) for you partner/joint homeowner if they are employed (if applicable)
- If you and your partner (if applicable) are receiving a WINZ benefit, please advise council staff which benefit you receive. It is not necessary for you to obtain an IR 544 as listed above if your sole income is a WINZ benefit
- If you are self-employed a full set of accounts for the prior tax year are required
- A copy of your invoice from Waikato Regional Council showing rates for the year 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019 is helpful. Alternatively, Council staff can obtain the information for you.
Your Personal Tax Summary IR 544 is available by contacting the Inland Revenue Department on Personal Tax Enquires: 0800 227 774.