Below is a list of road closures in our district. There is also a list of roads with roadworks taking place still open, but under traffic management. Please phone 0800 492 452 to report any road issues which aren't included on this list.
For information on State Highways please check out Waka Kotahi's Journey Planner.
Last updated: 25 September 2023.
Scheduled road closures
- Horsham Downs Road (between Resolution Drive extn and Henderson Rd), 23September to 3October – two-week full closure for road pavement repair with detour via Bankier Road, Boyd Road & Henderson Road.
- Te Akau Rd (from Highway 22 to Ruakiwi Rd), 25 September to 6 October, daytime closures to repair the bridge 4.5kms in from Highway 22, detour via Ruakiwi Road and Ohautira Road.
- Wairamarama-Onewhero Road, 9 October to 20 October, at intersection with Ponganui and Allen & Eyre Road, to repair and strengthen bridge, detour route via Highway 22.
- Highway 22, from Hetherington Road to Ohuatira Road, 24 October, 9.20am-1.20pm, for Targa Rally
- Waingaro Road, from Rotowaro Road to Te Puroa Road, 24 October, 9.50am-2.20pm, for Targa Rally.
- Sainsbury Road, Puketaha, 27 September to 6 October, to replace a collapsed culvert, residents' access to be maintained.
Other upcoming major works and events:
- Great South Road, Ngaaruawaahia, between Kelm Rd intersection and Ngaaruawaahia Bridge, starting mid-September, lasting for three months, new wastewater pipe installation works, under traffic management.
- Riverview Road, Huntly, watermain renewal, traffic management in place, lasting for three months from 1 September, under traffic management.
- Dominion Road, Tuakau, watermain renewal, traffic management in place, lasting for three months from 1 September, under traffic management.
- Morrinsville Rd, Newstead ( from LIC round-a-bout to expressway overbridge) – watermain renewal – starting today and lasting for 3 months, under traffic management.
Road safety projects
As part of our Council's commitment to Waka Kotahi's Road to Zero initiative, below is a list of road safety projects happening before the end of June 2023. These are jointly funded between Waikato District Council and Waka Kotahi.All these roads will remain open during the work but under traffic management.