The reticulated water supply is provided through a network of intake structures, reservoirs, pump stations and an extensive underground pipe network. This water is used by rural and urban areas for domestic and industrial purposes. 

We operate nine water treatment plants and 30 reservoirs with a total capacity of over 19,000 cubic metres.

We have three external agreements in place for water supply:

  • Hamilton City Council agreement is in place to take up to 12,000 cubic metres per day for the southern parts of our district.
  • Te Kauwhata Water Association agreement is in place to take up to 4,000 cubic metres per day of raw water for the Te Kauwhata, Meremere and Rangiriri communities, 
  • We have an agreement with Watercare Ltd to supply water to Pokeno and Tuakau.

We maintain over 700 km of pipelines providing over 16,000 properties with a reticulated water service.

Flow restrictors

Many in our district will have a flow restrictor placed within their meter, this limits the amount of water that passes through the trickle feed system to 1.8 cubic Meters a day, 1.3 litres a minute.

Customers can request to have the flow restrictors removed from their water supply for up to four months. The flow restrictor is removed to supply full flow water while a storage tank and pump equipment is installed on the property, usually during a building project.

Our treatment process

We currently operate nine water treatment plants supplying drinking water to over 16,000 customers. Each plant takes untreated water and removes contaminants including suspended solids, bacteria, algae, minerals and pollutants. The end result is treated drinking water - ('potable' water which is safe to drink). 

Water, raw and untreated, is sourced from the district's bores, springs, streams and the Waikato River. Groundwater sources typically require less treatment than surface water as the raw water contains less microbiological organisms and it's not as 'stirred up' (it has low turbidity).

Registered water carriers

Customers should always check that water supplies are coming from a council and district health board-registered carrier. This is to ensure that the water supplied is 'potable water' - water that is safe for human consumption.

Find a registered water carrier in your area.

Filling station

Customers that have a drinking water contract with Watercare can access a filling station in Pokeno for Pokeno/Tuakau, along with 11 other filling stations across Auckland.  For further information visit

Water supply hydrants

Customers can apply for an annual permit to take water from designated water supply hydrants. These are located in Ngaruawahia, Huntly, Raglan, Te Kauwhata, Horotiu and Taupiri.



Who can take water from hydrants?

Contractors and water carriers with a permitted standpipe registered with Council.

What is a standpipe?

A standpipe is a portable device that is used to draw water directly from a fire hydrant on watermains. It needs to be metered and have two non-return valves to prevent contamination of the water supply. Each registered standpipe is to be exclusively used within the Waikato district.

What does it cost to take water from hydrants?

There is an annual permit fee (refer to our fees and charges)

When you start drawing water there will be a monthly invoice for each cubic meter of water drawn (see Fees and charges). A photo of the current meter reading for your standpipe is required each month for billing of the previous month’s usage.

Can I register more than one standpipe?

Yes, every standpipe used within the district requires a permit.

Can I hire a standpipe?

No, we do not hire standpipes, you need to purchase your own standpipe.

Where can I take water from?

For locations please contact us on 0800 492 452. These have been selected to ensure that water can be drawn safely and that surrounding properties will not suffer from a loss in water pressure.

Do I need to register with the Ministry of Health?

All water carriers need to register with the Ministry of Health. A permit will not be approved until a copy of certification is provided with your application. Contactors not intending to provide water for drinking purposes do not need to register with the MOH.

Related documents


Related links