Alcohol licensing

Apply early for special licences!

There is a statutory ‘shut down period for alcohol licensing (New Zealand wide) where special licence applications will not be processed.

This period begins on 20 December 2017 and ends on 15 January 2018. 

When does your special licence application need to be lodged?

To be processed before the close down period, applications for events planned up until the end of February 2018 should be lodged with Council by 17 November 2017.

Special Licences for funerals are unforeseen and can still be made on a case-by-case basis. Contact Council to discuss your needs if you miss application close-off dates.

If you are planning to sell or supply alcohol to the public you will need to apply for a licence under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. All applications for licences and managers' certificates are determined by the District Licensing Committee.

The requirements for licenses and certificates and the criteria to be considered for granting them are set out in the Act and Regulations.

More in-depth information on the provisions of the Act is available on the Ministry of Justice website.

In this section