Before you start any work on your premises or have plans drawn up have a look at the basic setting up requirements to ensure you will comply with the requirements of the Food Regulations 2015 and Food Notices 2015.
Depending on the scope of your food business you will likely need to operate under one of the risk based measures, either a Food Control Plan (FCP) or a National Programme (NP). For more information and to determine the appropriate risk based measure
for your business, use the where do I fit tool.
Your application submission should consist of:
- A completed application for registration of a food business.
This a legal document and must be completed properly.
- A completed scope of operations of food business. Please note that all
businesses must complete card 1 and then select only the sections that are relevant to their businesses operations.
- An accurate plan of the premises outlining rooms and their uses; incidental features such as yard areas, staff changing and tea rooms etc.; position of all major appliances including extractor ventilation hoods; and a schedule of finishes detailing
materials to be used for walls, floors, ceilings and bench surfaces.
- An architect or designer who has previous experience in designing food premises will be able to help you with a plan.
- The required fee – see below for details.
Please remember it is an offence to open for business prior to gaining registration.
Fees and charges
Food businesses operating under Food Act 2014
|Application for registration of Food Control Plan ||$350.00 |
|Renewal of registration of Food Control Plan (before expiry of current registration)||$150 |
|Application for registration to National Programme||$250 |
|Renewal for National Food Control Plan ||$150 |
For more please refer to Environmental Health, pages 36 to 41 in our Fees and Charges schedule.
Next step - Apply for food registration