Skip to content

Connecting to water supply

Those living in urban areas are able to connect into our water supply network. To connect please complete our application form.

If you live rurally and want to know if water supply is available to your property complete our Waters Enquiry form and one of our staff will contact you to discuss.

Am I eligible to connect to the water supply network?

If you are planning to build a new home and require a water connection, It’s a good idea to seek advice from a drainlayer, architect, engineer or other qualified person. They will know the requirements and standards you must comply with.

You can apply to connect to our water supply system if:

  • You require three or less connections
  • Connections are under 20 mm in size

If you do not meet the criteria above, the connections will need to be installed privately by the owner/agent as part of the consent process. If you are the owner/agent planning to install:

  • Four or more meters (and you have an approved Council consent) or
  • Connections are over 20 mm in size

You may want to seek advice from a drainlayer, architect, engineer or other qualified person. They will know the requirements and standards you must comply with. Please note:

  1. Installation must be carried out by a qualified NZ Certificate in Infrastructure Works Level 4 water strand,
  2. Must meet all requirements/conditions to meet Waikato District Council consents, Water Supply Bylaw 2014 (amended 2021), and Regional Infrastructure Technical Specifications.

Before you start gathering your information, here's some useful information

  • You can learn about building consents here.
  • You can learn about Development Contribution here.
  • You can learn about pre-network connections and the information required here.
What is the difference between full flow and restricted supply?

Council has two water supplies, full flow, and restricted supply. To view our supply area map, click here.

Full flow - If your property is located within a full flow area, this means that the supply is delivered at the full flow rate.

Restricted supply - If your property is located within the restricted water supply area.  This means that you will need a flow restrictor installed in the water meter. This will limit your daily intake to 1,800 L (1.8m3) at a steady flow rate through your water meter. Customers receiving restricted flow supply shall provide onsite water storage of with  minimum volume of 22,000L (22 m3) or equivalent of at least 48 hours of average water use where this is greater than 22,000L (22 m3).

Once connected, Council recommends:

Check your tanks regularly and ensure this is set so the trickle feed water supply is engaged before the tank is empty.  An empty tank can take days to fill.

What are the costs associated?

You can apply to connect to the water supply network, once your application is submitted:

  •  It will be reviewed within 10 working days.
  • This will be open 20 working days from the date of acceptance and invoices issued. 
  • The location will be installed at the property boundary on the public road side as per the Waikato District Council Water Supply Bylaw 2014.  

Please note that if you have not paid within 20 working days, the application will lapse, so you will have to reapply. 

Installation of your new water connection usually takes around 20 working days from the date of payment and approved invoice for connection.  There may be a delay due to Traffic Management, Emergency works, or Covid-19 workarounds.

There are two potential charges associated with connection to our water supply network:

  1. A connection fee of $1,641.08 (for 20mm urban residential/rural metered) or $2,953.31 (for 20mm urban residential/rural metered State Highways) and/or
  2. A development contribution, you can find the current fees and charges here.

Water  consumption charge is currently charged at $2.18 per m³. The water supply is charged in two parts:

  1. Fixed Targeted Rate and
  2. Water Consumption invoices are read and sent every six months. 
Can I relocate my water meter?

You can apply to relocate your water meter here. Please do not relocate your meter without permission from Council.

For this service we require the following information:

  • Completed application form and emailed to,
  • Description of your current meter location,
  • Approximate distance that the meter will be moved,
  • Plan showing existing and proposed meter locations and backflow prevention devices.

Can I apply to disconnect from the water supply network? 

You can apply to disconnect your water meter. To be eligible for this service, your property must be within restricted supply area, have an alternant water supply or house has been removed/demolished. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure this does not affect your consent conditions. You will require:

  • Completed application form and emailed to
  • Description of current meter location

If you want to reconnect in the future, you will need to apply and pay for a new connection.

Can I increase my water allocation within Restricted water supply?

If your tanks run dry over summer due to high consumption, we suggest you increase your water storage capacity and check for leaks regularly.  This water supply is for the purposes of domestic household use only.

If you need additional water for extraordinary use e.g., filling your pool or irrigating gardens, you can contact a water carrier to top up your tanks.

You can apply for extraordinary water supply here. You will require:

  • Completed application form and emailed to
  • Site or drainage plan showing the meter to be increased in size.
Next steps for private installation of network connections

Waikato District Council has approved your consent, however, you do not meet the criteria for installation to be completed by Council. The installation and connection to the water, wastewater or stormwater system will need to be completed privately.

This is to be done by an appropriately qualified contractor/ drainlayer and at the owner/agent’s cost and management.

Before you proceed, you must comply and understand your responsibilities as the agent/contractor:

  1. The works must be carried out by a qualified contractor/drainlayer holding NZ Certificate in Infrastructure Works
    1. Level 4 water strand for working on water assets and/or
    2. Level 4 wastewater and stormwater strand or Qualified drainlayer equivalent for working on wastewater or stormwater assets.
installation on waters networks

2. All plans and installation methods must meet Regional Infrastructure Technical Specifications (RITS) and approved Engineer Plan.  If unsure, please consult your contractors or Council Land Development Engineer.

Please be aware of the following requirements:

    1. For properties within the rural zone, a water flow restrictor (size 1.3 mm standard) must be installed in the water meter to limit the daily intake to 1.8m³ at a steady flow rate. Onsite water storage of a minimum volume of 22m3 or equivalent of at least 48 hours of average water use where this is greater than 22m3 is required.
    2. The location of the water meter must be at the roadside property boundary per Waikato District Council Water Supply Bylaw 2014 (amended 2021). 
    3. Disconnected water meter asset sheet with final reading and dated should be provided with pre-network connection checklist.
    4. As built and meter data to be provided once main live, please complete and return templates (Water Meter Data_Template and Asbuilt New Connections)
    5. For further information, refer to RITS.