COVID-19 UPDATE All of the Waikato District moves to “Orange” at 11:59pm on 2 December. Click here for full info.
Skip to content

How to check for water leaks

If your water bill unexpectedly increases but your water usage has not changed, it could mean you have a leak.

To check for a leak, turn off your taps on your property. If water use dial is still spinning, you have a leak and need to call a plumber.

If you are unable to find the leak, we suggest you contact a licensed plumber to detect and repair the leak for you. 


How to apply for leak remission

Leak remission can be applied when there is an undetectable leak on a property; you could have your bill discounted by half of the excess*.

To apply for leak remission, please complete the application for leak remission form online or download it and post it or email to ( with a copy of your plumbers invoice or a statement of what work has been done to fix the leak.

Contact the waters team at Council on 0800 492 452 or email to see if you are eligible.

*An undetectable leak does not cover things such as a leaking tap, overflowing cistern, hot water cylinder exhausts or stock troughs. 

Apply for water relief