COVID-19 UPDATE We are working through how we can safely open our public facilities in Level 2. Please click here for full details.
Skip to content

Who pays? (rentals)

The property owner is expected to pay the targeted rate, but may pass on water use charges to the tenant (see section 39 of the Residential Tenancies Act 1986). The property owner is liable for rates pursuant to the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002. Any arrangement regarding payment of a water consumption charge is usually included in the Tenancy Agreement between the owner and the tenant. If the tenant does not pay the water charges, this falls on the property owner.

The Council has no involvement in matters relating to the Residential Tenancies Act. For further questions concerning responsibilities under that Act, please contact Tenancy services on 0800 836 262.

Isn’t water free?

Yes, water is free. It is illegal for Council to profit for water. The cost comes from treating and providing the valuable resource to residents across the entire Waikato district.  

What do I do if I get a high bill?

Check your reading is similar to that on your bill. If it’s similar: check for leaks on your property, look into your usage pattern and visit our page how can I save water. There are also alternative options such as recycling grey water and supplementing garden supply with rain tanks. If it’s different, call us on 0800 492 452 and ask to speak with someone in the waters team. 

What if my water reading is showing zero consumption?

If you are consuming water and your meter reading is showing zero consumption, it may no longer be recording correctly. Please contact us as soon as possible to organize a meter inspection. If it is determined that the meter is faulty, it will be replaced. 

What if my water usage is higher than my previous reading?

This may be due to the previous reading being estimated too low, you can take a current reading (ensuring your meter ID is the same as the water invoice), if usage is as expected, the increase is due to the estimate. This may also be due to a leak, refer to ‘How to check for water leaks?’ for more information.

What if I have a leak?

If the leak is on your property (after the meter), it is the owner’s responsibility to fix the leak by contacting a plumber. If the leak is before the meter, no need to panic, you won’t be charged for this water as it hasn’t gone through your meter yet. We do ask you to call Council on 0800 492 452 and lodge a request for service to have the leak repaired so we’re not wasting our valuable resource.

What do I do if I’m moving house?

Just like your power, you’ll need to have a final reading. This will be done by Council, all final readings have to be requested in writing to email (reading charges will apply).