Skip to content

If somebody's vehicle entranceway is affecting footpath access or safety, you need to first let them know and (if necessary) let us know by reporting it as a road or footpath issue.

However, if you are creating or altering a vehicle entranceway or crossing in relation to your property or development, you need to ensure this is done to the appropriate standards and safety requirements. This means working with Council and using a Council-approved contractor to construct the crossing or entranceway. Council also inspects the work once it's completed. The first step is to go through an application process.

Download vehicle entranceway application form

Once your crossing or entranceway is completed, you'll be responsible for its ongoing maintenance. If it has a culvert pipe under it (more common in rural properties), you're also responsible for keeping the pipe clear to avoid flooding issues.

If you have any queries about the above requirements, get in touch with us on our freephone or make a request for service

Vehicle entranceways and large projects

If your request relates to a significant property or building development containing multiple entranceways and/or a significant entranceway construction, see roads and land and property development for more information in relation to resource consents and/or building consents.

Your activities should be carefully managed to take account of their potential impacts on nearby roads; roading projects and maintenance; road safety; other infrastructure, services and facilities; and our environment.

Vehicle entrance standards

See below documents for engineering drawings found in the Regional Infrastructure Technical Specifications