Population: 850 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 1,488 by 2045
We came to Horotiu in August 2018 and heard what was important to you. You told us what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below. We came back to you in 2019 to hear what your top three priorities are for Horotiu.
The top priority initiatives for Horotiu include:
- Building a strong identity for the town.
- Investigating the opportunity for additional
- Providing longer distance walking and cycling
connections to Te Kowhai and Horsham
- Providing a walking and cycling route on the
eastern side of the Waikato River between
Horotiu and Ngaruawahia to create a loop with
the Te Awa river ride.
We visited again in June/July 2020 to discuss who should lead each of these initiatives for Horotiu. This latest round of feedback asked for your thoughts on the priority ranking and who should be leading each initiative. Is the priority still top, or is something else more important. Should Council or the community, or perhaps a mix of both, be leading the initiative? Feedback closed on 17 July.
View your Local Area Blueprint initiatives in more detail below or download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information.
Proposed initiatives for Horotiu:
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor and the unique qualities of the local area. For Horotiu, consider the historic Maaori gardens and the business park.
- Explore the potential for leisure, accommodation and residential development between State Highway 1 and the Waikato River.
- Investigate the opportunity for industrial land.
- Establish an Advanced Food Processing cluster.
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for office development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan.
- Form the paper road at the end of Sullivan Road and form a carpark to improve accessibility to the river.
- Provide longer distance walking and cycling connections to Te Kowhai and Horsham Downs.
- Provide a walking and cycling route on the eastern side of the Waikato River between Horotiu and Ngaruawahia to create a loop with the Te Awa river ride.
- Investigate safety improvements and traffic calming along River Road as well as connections to the proposed route along the eastern side of the river to create a loop for recreational cycling.
- Extend routes around the peat lakes for recreation.
- Improve the carpark at the bridge on Horotiu Bridge Road. Consider sealing it and adding toilets and rubbish bins.
- Fill in or improve the appearance of the open stormwater drains at the original AFFCO village in Park Road.
Thanks for your feedback!