Population: 850 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 1,488 by 2045
We came to Horotiu in August 2018 and heard what was important to you. We heard what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below.
We would now like to hear what your top three priorities are for Horotiu.
These top priorities will then be used by Council when they’re making decisions. It’s important that we hear from you, even if we’ve got it right and you have
no other suggestions.
Below is a list of priorities to choose from. Download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information and once you know what your top three are, select the Submit Feedback button to have your say.
What are your top three priorities for Horotiu?
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor and the unique qualities of the local area. For Horotiu, consider the historic Maaori gardens and the business park.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Horotiu. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Nature.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Horotiu. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Iwi.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Horotiu. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Communities.
- Explore the potential for leisure, accommodation and residential development between State Highway 1 and the Waikato River
- Investigate the opportunity for industrial land.
- Establish an Advanced Food Processing cluster.
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for office development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan.
- Form the paper road at the end of Sullivan Road and form a carpark to improve accessibility to the river
- Provide longer distance walking and cycling connections to Te Kowhai and Horsham Downs
- Provide a walking and cycling route on the eastern side of the Waikato River between Horotiu and Ngaruawahia to create a loop with the Te Awa river ride
- Investigate safety improvements and traffic calming along River Road as well as connections to the proposed route along the eastern side of the river to create a loop for recreational cycling
- Extend routes around the peat lakes for recreation
- Refer to the district-wide initiatives for the promotion of passenger transport services, including opportunities for commuters.
- Improve the carpark at the bridge on Horotiu Bridge Road. Consider sealing it and adding toilets and rubbish bins
- Fill in or improve the appearance of the open stormwater drains at the original AFFCO village in Park Road
- Resolve wastewater and water reticulation issues.
- Refer to district-wide proposals regarding community boards and committees.
Thanks for your feedback!