Population: 2,786 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 3,984 by 2045.
We came to Whatawhata in October 2018 and heard what was important to you. You told us what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below. We came back to you in 2019 to hear what your top three priorities are for Whatawhata.
We visited again in June/July 2020 to discuss who should lead each of these initiatives for Whatawhata. This latest round of feedback asked for your thoughts on the priority ranking and who should be leading each initiative. Is the priority still top, or is something else more important. Should Council or the community, or perhaps a mix of both, be leading the initiative? Feedback closed on 17 July.
The top priority initiatives for Whatawhata include:
- Support the process to create a meeting space (‘Our Place’)
- Support NZTA discussions to deliver the roundabout to resolve congestion and safety concerns
- Create public picnic areas with BBQ facilities
- Extend local footpaths to connect new residential areas to the village centre
- Address river bank weeds and erosion issues
- Moved to district-wide, but still top: build a strong identity
View your Local Area Blueprint initiatives in more detail below or download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information.