Population: 2,786 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 3,984 by 2045.
We came to Whatawhata in October 2018 and heard what was important to you. You told us what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below.
We came back to you in 2019 to hear what your top three priorities are for Whatawhata.
The top priority initiatives for Whatawhata include:
- Building a strong identity for the town.
- Supporting the process to create a meeting
space (‘Our Place’).
- Expanding the sports fields to meet increasing
recreational needs. Consider the inclusion of
- Supporting NZTA discussions to deliver the
roundabout to resolve safety and congestion.
- Extending local footpaths to connect new
residential areas to the village centre.
We plan to visit again in June/July 2020 to discuss who should lead each of these initiatives for Whatawhata. Attend this meeting to tell us what you think.
See meeting times here.
See below to view these initiatives in more detail or to download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information.
Proposed initiatives for Whatawhata:
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor and the unique qualities of the local area. For Whatawhata, consider the village as a service centre for the rural periphery and local marae.
- Address river bank weeds and erosion issues.
- Support process to create a meeting space (“Our Place”).
- Facilitate an investigation into the options for expanding the school. Consider expansion towards the east.
- Create public picnic areas with BBQ facilities.
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for office development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan.
- Support NZTA discussions to deliver a roundabout to resolve congestion and safety concerns.
- Extend local footpaths to connect new residential areas to the village centre.
- Investigate reinstating the Makarini Road bridge across the Waipa to improve connectivity between the village centre and the residential expansion areas to the west.
- Create public river access to the west of the village centre.
- Consider constructing new facilities as part of the proposed sports fields expansion.
Thanks for your feedback!