Population: (includes Tamahere-Tauwhare area) 6,150 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 8,077 by 2045.
We came to Tamahere in October 2018 and heard what was important to you. We heard what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below.
We would now like to hear what your top three priorities are for Tamahere. These top priorities will then be used by Council when they’re making decisions. It’s important that we hear from you, even if we’ve got it right and you have
no other suggestions.
Below is a list of priorities to choose from. Download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information and once you know what your top three are, select the Submit Feedback button to have your say.
What are your top three priorities for Tamahere?
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor and the unique qualities of the local area. For Tamahere, consider the gully network, Wiremu Tamihana (celebrating heritage) and the markets.
- Support progressing Mangaone Stream revegetation and the construction of a walking and cycleway along it.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Tamahere. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Iwi.
- Support the zero waste initiative at the Hub as a start of possible wider local initiatives.
- Investigate whether the land bounded by State Highway 21, Tamahere Drive and the proposed Southern Links route should be rezoned from rural to village.
- Support activation of the Hub development
- Support local employment initiatives. Consider the quarry (needs commercial rights), retirement villages, leveraging off cycle route, retail in the new commercial hub, Southern Fresh Foods, home-based employment etc
- Facilitate a plan to rotate the location of the local markets between the current location at the church and the reserve in Matangi in order to increase frequency
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for office development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan.
- Work with NZTA to provide a shared path across State Highway 21 (North/South) and under/over the Expressway (East/West)
- Work with public transport provider to ensure the Hamilton/Cambridge bus will loop past the new retirement village and commercial hub
- Refer to the district-wide initiatives for the promotion of passenger transport services, including opportunities for commuters
- Support the community with the extension of shared paths (walking/cycling) through natural areas.
- Resolve wastewater and water reticulation issues.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Tamahere. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Governance.
Thanks for your feedback!