We came to Ohinewai in October 2018 and heard what was important to you. We heard what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below.
We would now like to hear what your top three priorities are for Ohinewai.
These top priorities will then be used by Council when they’re making decisions. It’s important that we hear from you, even if we’ve got it right and you have
no other suggestions.
Below is a list of priorities to choose from. Download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information and once you know what your top three are, select the Submit Feedback button to have your say.
What are your top three priorities for Ohinewai?
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor and the unique qualities of the local area. In particular, consider the ferry landing.
- Clarify the future of the reserve.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Ohinewai. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Iwi.
- Review accessibility to/for emergency services
- Support community initiatives for an area tidy up, addressing rubbish and weeds
- Extend the Council’s fruit tree planting programme
- Undertake the paint initiative for ‘Cowboys’
- Assist with the set up of social media and website communications within the community
- Provide Council support to local events
- Support the expansion of the school and increase in childcare provision. Consider whether the hall can double.
- Investigate the potential for larger residential lots west of State Highway 1 and a mix of larger and smaller lots (for affordability) east of State Highway 1.
- If the development application progresses, then ensure possible expansion addresses its own impacts (such as traffic, noise and visual). Ensure it contributes positively to the local community e.g. by offering more convenience retail, improving
housing affordability, new walking and cycling connections, improving the viability of the school etc.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Ohinewai. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Economy.
- Create tracks on the stop bank along the Waikato River and around Lake Ohinewai
- Advocate for a bus service that accommodates commuters
- Add a pedestrian/cycling ‘clip-on’ onto the Tahuna Road bridge over the railway and over State Highway 1.
- Resolve wastewater and water reticulation issues
- Insert fibre internet with other services.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Ohinewai. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Governance.
Thanks for your feedback!