Population: 4,639 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 10,147 by 2045
We came to Tuakau in August 2018 and heard what was important to you. We heard what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below.
We would now like to hear what your
top three priorities are for Tuakau.
These top priorities will then be used by Council when they’re making decisions. It’s important that we hear from you, even if we’ve got it right and you have no other suggestions.
Below is a list of priorities to choose from. Download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information and once you know what your top three are, select the Submit Feedback button to have your say.
What are your top three priorities for Tuakau?
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor and the unique qualities of the local area. Highlight heritage and historic sites, and consider Sir Edmund Hillary and the history of trade for passing waka.
- If approved in the Proposed District Plan, resolve clash with high class soils and contours.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Tuakau. Refer to Appendix A for ideas from the Tuakau Area Workshop. For district-wide priorities on this theme see Iwi.
- Support the local initiative to establish a community hub, which may be partially privately funded
- Support the community’s aspirations for an emergency services hub
- Upgrade Council’s pool facility
- Support enhanced library services
- Install lighting and CCTV for safety
- Address the interface between residential and industrial land. Consider sports fields as a buffer.
- Prepare a town centre strategy considering character, provision of green spaces, streetscape upgrades, mix of uses, anchors etc
- Consider employment uses south of the town centre along River Road
- Establish a Designers and Makers cluster
- Establish a Designer Food cluster
- Investigate opportunities for short-stay courses
- Ensure that the timing of job creation aligns with residential growth
- Prepare a strategy for the promotion of Tuakau for living and visiting
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for office development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Provide advocacy for the widening of existing, and/or the construction of new road connections to State Highway 1.
- Refer to the district-wide initiatives for the promotion of passenger transport services, including opportunities for commuters
- Create a Park and Ride for public transport.
- Build public toilets.
- Resolve wastewater and water reticulation issues.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Tuakau. For district-wide priorities on this theme see Governance.
Thanks for your feedback!