Population: 2,132 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 11,954 by 2045
We came to your Pokeno in 2018 and heard what was important to you. We heard what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below.
We came back to you in 2019 to hear what your top three priorities are for Tuakau.
These top priorities will be used by Council when they’re making decisions.
Download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information.
In early 2019 we asked you for your top three priorities from the below:
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor, and the unique qualities of the local area. Recognise the position as the gateway to the north and the Waikato, and consider the dairy industry, markets, ice cream and bacon.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Pokeno. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Nature.
There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Pokeno. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Iwi.
- Consider the need for a sports park. Consider whether Munro Reserve can be improved for this or whether the park in the western growth area can be expanded
- Establish a library and community facilities
- Work with the Ministry of Education to provide adequate schooling facilities for the current and future population
- Consider supporting residential expansion
- Consider supporting the Village Zone expansion
- Prepare for the production of a town centre strategy which details retail needs, preliminary transport and open space options
- Produce a town centre strategy that reconciles the current and future retail, employment, community facility and open space needs
- Establish an Advanced Food Processing cluster
- Identify if, how much and where possible, additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Investigate establishing wider transport links with employment areas, Tuakau and State Highway 1. Consider a new underpass and/or bypass.
- Work with the truck stop owner to address community concerns
- Refer to the District-wide initiatives for the promotion of passenger transport services, including the opportunities for commuters
- Create a Park and Ride for public transport.
- Resolve wastewater and water reticulation issues.
- There are no specific priorities relating to this topic for Pokeno. For district-wide priorities on this theme, see Governance.
Thanks for your feedback!