Population: 2,132 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 11,954 by 2045
We came to your Pokeno in 2018 and heard what was important to you. We heard what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below.
We came back to you in 2019 to hear what your top three priorities are for Pokeno.
The top priority initiatives for Pokeno include:
- Building a strong identity for the town.
- Considering the need for a Sports park.
- Establishing library, community and customer
services and / or facilities.
- Producing a town centre strategy that
reconciles the current and future retail,
employment, community facility, and open
See below to view these initiatives in more detail or download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information.
Proposed initiatives for Pokeno:
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor, and the unique qualities of the local area. Recognise the position as the gateway to the north and the Waikato, and consider the dairy industry, markets, ice cream and bacon.
- Consider the need for a sports park. Consider whether Munro Reserve can be improved for this or whether the park in the western growth area can be expanded
- Establish a library, community and customer service and/or facilities
- Work with the Ministry of Education to provide adequate schooling facilities for the current and future population
- Consider supporting residential expansion
- Consider supporting the Village Zone expansion
- Prepare a detailed retail needs calculation, preliminary transport and open space options, followed by the production of a town centre strategy that reconciles the current and future retail, employment, community facility and open space needs
- Establish an Advanced Food Processing cluster
- Identify if, how much and where possible, additional employment land for office development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Identify if, how much, and where possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Investigate establishing wider transport links with employment areas, Tuakau and State Highway 1. Consider a new underpass and/or bypass.
- Work with the truck stop owner to address community concerns.
Thanks for your feedback!