Population: 140 (2016 estimate) with little change predicted by 2045.
We came to Mercer in August 2018 and heard what was important to you. You told us what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below. We came back to you in 2019 to hear what your top three priorities are for Mercer.
The top priority initiatives for Mercer include:
- Building a strong identity for the town.
- Considering the development of a community
facility with a meeting place, possibly
incorporating public toilets.
- Increasing parking and improving roading
visited again in June/July 2020 to discuss who should lead each of these
initiatives for Mercer. This latest round of feedback asked for your thoughts on the
priority ranking and who should be leading each initiative. Is the priority
still top, or is something else more important. Should Council or the
community, or perhaps a mix of both, be leading the initiative? Feedback closed
on 17 July.
View the Local Area Blueprint initiatives in more detail below or download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information.
Proposed initiatives for Mercer:
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor, and the unique qualities of the local area. Consider tourism – wine, cheese and skydiving
- Explore opportunities for wetland preservation and a park.
- Identify and preserve Maaori landmarks. Restore and commemorate historical marae.
- Reconfigure the existing playground and upgrade playing fields.
- Consider the development of a community facility with a meeting place, possibly in the Fire Station. Consider incorporating public toilets.
- Produce a village centre plan, placing an emphasis on destination, specialty retail and tourism, recreation, visitor and environmental aspects. Consider incorporating the relevant strategic opportunities proposed in the Local Area Blueprint.
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for office development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan.
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan.
- Increase parking and improve roading infrastructure. Consider a new overbridge and the relocation of the sliproad.
- Consider providing appropriate facilities to address the impact of freedom campers.
Thanks for your feedback!