Population: 564 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 711 by 2045.
We came to Meremere in August 2018 and heard what was important to you. You told us what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below.
We came back to you in 2019 to hear what your top three priorities are for Meremere.
The top priority initiatives for Meremere include:
- Building a strong identity for the town.
- Celebrating the Redoubt, linking it to a wider Maaori heritage experience.
- Providing support to beatification initiatives, assisting with community pride in the place.
- Developing youth engagement initiatives to address the issue of youth leaving school early.
- Considering ways to provide more recreational opportunities and facilities for children.
We plan to visit again in June/July 2020 to discuss who should lead each of these initiatives for Meremere. Attend this meeting to tell us what you think.
See meeting times here.
View the Local Area Blueprint initiatives in more detail below or download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information.
Check out the initiatives document below for the latest updates and progress being made on the Local Area Blueprints. This latest round of feedback seeks your thoughts on the priority ranking and who should be leading each initiative. Is the priority still top, or is something else more important. Should Council or the community, or perhaps a mix of both, be leading the initiative? Get your feedback in by 17 July.
Proposed initiatives for Meremere:
- Build a strong identity based on the river corridor and the unique qualities of the local area. For Meremere, consider the power station, motorsport and Whangamarino wetlands.
- Celebrate the Redoubt, linking it to a wider Maaori heritage experience (Tuakau, Pokeno to Rangiriri etc). Add some associated commercial zoning.
- Provide support to beautification initiatives, assisting with community pride in the place. Consider streetscape, entrance signs, house numbers etc.
- Leverage more activities off the Hall. Seek sponsorship e.g. for heating (considering solar power) and equipment.
- Prepare a community engagement framework describing how to enable new initiatives and strengthening relationships between existing committees and the community.
- Prepare a reputational strategy that builds on local pride.
- Develop youth engagement initiatives to address the issue of youth leaving school early.
- Consider ways to provide more recreational opportunities and facilities for children.
- Prepare an employment strategy for rangitahi that supports Tainui Group Holdings’ efforts
- Establish a synergy park/clean production cluster.
- Establish a high performance vehicle cluster.
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for office development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
- Identify if, how much and where possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan.
- Support continued access off the Waikato Expressway
- Consider an overbridge that also allows access to the river and Te Araroa Trail.
Thanks for your feedback!