Population: 564 (2016 estimate) with growth projected to reach 711 by 2045.
We came to Meremere in August 2018 and heard what was important to you. You told us what you wanted to see in your community in the future. We heard lots of great ideas and a number of these initiatives can be found below. We came back to you in 2019 to hear what your top three priorities are for Meremere.
We visited again in June/July 2020 to discuss who should lead each of these initiatives for Meremere. This latest round of feedback asked for your thoughts on the priority ranking and who should be leading each initiative. Is the priority still top, or is something else more important. Should Council or the community, or perhaps a mix of both, be leading the initiative? Feedback closed on 17 July.
The top priority initiatives for Meremere include:
- Develop youth engagement initiatives to address the issue of youth leaving school early
- Celebrate the Redoubt, linking it to a wider Maori heritage experience. Add some associated commercial zoning
- Provide support to beautification initiatives, assisting with community pride in the place. Consider streetscape, entrance signs, house numbers etc
- Provide more recreational opportunities and facilities for children
- Moved to district-wide, but still top: build a strong identity, identify if, how much, and where, possible additional employment land for retail development is needed beyond the zoning in the Proposed District Plan
View your Local Area Blueprint initiatives in more detail below
or download the Waikato District Blueprint for more information.